The top 8 Wellness Hacks this side of Easter!
Confused, tired and hungry? It’s not surprising with so many diets and trends available!
We’ve broken it down into 8 wellness hacks that will help get the most from your fitness routines, move well and have your chocolate Easter egg too!
- Active rest/recovery days! These should be included as part of your training plan to give your body the best chance for it to grow (muscles/lungs/heart) from the training you have overloaded it with! This active recovery can include swimming, walking or some beautiful yoga or meditation sessions! Thisalso has an effect on lowering cortisol, which when elevated can inhibit fatloss!
- Intermittent fasting and fasted training are just tools that can aid in fatloss, there is no bullet proof system! It works for some but not others and if it hampers your sports performance you should have some form of fructose beforehand (i.e. a banana or half a glass of fruit juice)
- Your post exercise meal is MOST important! It should be within 45 minutes and be a mix of protein, carbs and fats! This is where you should also take your greens as the cells are most receptive! For maximum muscle growth and energy restoration it should be the biggest amount of carbs and protein and account for around 30-40% of your daily energy requirements!
- It is about what you do in a day, incidental exercise accounts for 60% of your daily calorie expenditure! The extra steps, taking the elevator or parking the car a little further away all adds up! 10,000 steps per day is optimal!
- Fresh is best! Your meals should be a good mix of protein, fats and carbohydrates! The size of your palm is about the portion size for protein, your fist for carbohydrates and 1.5 teaspoons for fats! (refer to Zone Diet).
- Gut Health is important for maximum nutrient absorption! There are some great probiotics in your greens (NuZest), otherwise Bioceuticals make a good clean one!
- Strength and High Intensity Training create lean muscle tissue and elevates our overall basal metabolic rate (BMR) which means we burn more calories at rest!
There are plenty of BMR calculators out there to check that you are eating around what you should be (remember it is also what you eat)!
- Cutting carbs out of your diet (keto & Atkins Diet) will see results initially as you lose water weight first! It can’t be sustained forever and cutting anything in its entirety is not wellness!
- Choose your macros as to get your biggest bang for your buck (i.e. antioxidant power, max muscle growth and cell renewal) berries, sweet potato, leafy greens, lean sources of meat, tofu, olive oil, omega 3’s etc over high GI carbs, saturated fat
Food Diaries are a great tool to be mindful of food intake and how certain foods make you feel!
Any questions remember we are here! And catch Katie Turner and Liam Zollo on Bondi Radio Saturday between 11-1pm as they help decipher the marketing jargon from the fitness facts!